A Brief History
The Mounted Unit of the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary has enjoyed a long and proud history. It was founded in 1873, with seven men and horses and was increased to as many as ten men and horses over the next 21 years. The economic crisis caused by the Bank Crash of 1894 led to its disbandment that same year. The following year, the Mounted Force was incorporated as part of the New Fire Brigade and was used for fire, ambulance and police emergencies. They also patrolled the external areas of St. John’s and when needed, were dispatched to towns and settlements outside St. John’s to quell riots and similar disorders.
In 1922, the Mounted Force was reorganized as a branch of the Constabulary. It continued as an important part of the Constabulary until 1951 when it was finally disbanded and the horses sold. At that time, there was no likelihood the Mounted Force would ever be reorganized. The last 4 mounted policemen were: C. Leaman, H. Moores, W. Yetman and V. Noonan.
In more recent years, police forces throughout the world have instituted their own mounted divisions, as it is recognized that mounted police officers have no equal when it comes to crowd control and public relations. Prior to 2003, Inspector William A. Bradley (Honorary) had provided a voluntary mounted unit for the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary. With his continuing support, as well as community and corporate financial assistance, the Mounted Unit of the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary was permanently re-established as of November 17, 2003.
On November 02, 2007, His Honour Edward Roberts, ONL, QC, Lieutenant Governor of Newfoundland and Labrador, Chief of Police J.F. Browne, the Minister of Justice and Attorney General Jerome Kennedy, Honourary Inspector William Bradley, and RNC Padre Father William Browne officially opened a stable on Historic Government House Grounds as the new home of the RNC Mounted Unit.