Report an Accident

Vehicle Collision In a vehicle collision where there is personal injury, property damage exceeding $2,000 and/or is a hit and run, you are required to attend in person to make a police report.

The driver(s) involved in the vehicle collision must stop their vehicle(s) at the scene of the accident, move their vehicle(s) so there is no obstruction of traffic and exchange the following information.  This information is also required when you attend in person to make a police report:

  • name, address and phone number of drivers involved, as well as the name and address of the registered owner of the vehicle(s);
  • driver’s license number for driver(s) involved; and
  • license plate number or VIN for vehicle(s) involved;
  • registration information for vehicle(s) involved;
  • insurance information for vehicle(s) involved, including insurance company and policy number.

All inquiries with respect to ACCIDENT REPORTS can be directed to:

Driver Records Section
Motor Registration Division P.O. Box 8710
St. John’s, NL

Telephone: 1-709-729-0331

Vehicle Collision with Unattended Vehicle

In situations where the driver of a vehicle collides with an unattended vehicle, the driver must stop and either:

  • locate and notify the driver or owner of the unattended vehicle of the name and address of the driver, the number of the driver’s licence and the registration number of the vehicle striking the unattended vehicle; or
  • leave in a conspicuous place in the vehicle struck a written notice giving the information referred to above.

Where the driver cannot locate the other driver or owner or cannot leave the notice required, the driver shall report the details of the collision as soon as possible to a police office having jurisdiction where the collision occurred.

Vehicle Collision with Bicycle on a Highway as a Factor

Where an accident occurs by which a person or property is injured, directly or indirectly, owing to the presence or operation of a bicycle on a highway, the bicyclist must remain at or immediately return to the scene of the accident; give reasonable assistance; and give to anyone sustaining loss or injury, and to a police officer who may be present, his or her name and address and also the name and address of the owner of the bicycle, and, where applicable, the licence or registration number of the bicycle.

Where the accident results in death or injury to a person or injury to property causing total damage apparently exceeding $250, the bicyclist must immediately make a written report of the accident and mail or deliver the report to the nearest police office.

Vehicle Collision with Property

The driver of a vehicle involved in an accident resulting in damage to property upon or adjacent to a highway, shall take reasonable steps to locate and notify the owner or person in charge of the property of that fact and of the name and address of the driver, the number of the driver’s licence and the registration number of the vehicle.

Where the driver cannot locate the owner or person in charge of the property s/he must report the details of the accident to a police officer having jurisdiction where the accident occurred.

Vehicle Collision Involving Personal Injury, Death or Property Damage over $2,000

Where a vehicle collision results in injury or death to a person or in property damage to an apparent extent of $2,000 or more, the driver of the vehicle involved in the accident must immediately make a written report of the accident to the nearest police office having jurisdiction in the area where the accident occurs.

Where the driver is incapable of making the report required and there is another occupant of the vehicle capable of making the report, the occupant shall make the report required to be made by the driver.

Where a report has not been made and the driver or occupant is not the owner of the vehicle, the owner shall immediately after learning of the accident make the report.

Where the driver is the owner, and is alone and incapable of making the report required s/he shall make the report immediately after becoming capable of making it.

Royal Newfoundland Constabulary Offices

St. John’s (Headquarters)
1 Fort Townshend, St. John’s, NL
A1C 2G2
Telephone: 1-709-729-8000

Mount Pearl 59 Clyde Avenue, Mount Pearl, NL
A1N 4R8
Telephone: 1-709-729-8175

Corner Brook
9 University Drive
P.O. Box 39, Corner Brook, NL
A2H 6C3
Telephone: 1-709-637-4100

Labrador City
417 Booth Avenue
P.O. Box 575, Labrador City, NL
A2V 0B3
Telephone: 1-709-944-7602

Churchill Falls
200 Ossokmanuan Street
P.O. Box 69, Churchill Falls, NL
A0R 1A0
Telephone: 1-709-925-3524